UK military scientists develop “Dirty Harry” bullet for Brit troops to fight Taliban in AfghanistanAugust 15th, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 15 (ANI): UK Military scientists have developed a 5.56 mm “Dirty Harry round” bullet to be issued to British troops to fight the Taliban in Afghanistan, as they complained that their current ammunition ‘SA80 rifle’ does not have the punch to kill the enemy at long range.
According to the Daily Express, the British troops would be able to start using the new bullet by next year.
Its development by UK defence firms BAE Systems and QinetiQ follows the Army’s concern in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, last year, that the SA80 round was failing to hit its target at distances of more than 400 yards.
The Taliban use more powerful rounds in Russian-designed AK-47 rifles and heavier 7.62 mm ammunition to hit British forces at a range of 600 yards.
However, the British troops’ new round is expected to solve the problem.
Testing is currently being carried out by the Future Dismounted Close Combat research programme, before the MoD orders an initial batch of up to a million rounds.
“While our ammunition is fine at close quarters it has little impact over 1,300ft, we are able to bring in secondary weapons to supplement our firepower but the new ammunition will give us an edge which at present we are lacking,” a Royal Marine said. (ANI)
- Now 'Dirty Harry' bullet to kill Taliban - Aug 15, 2010
- Brit bullets too small to beat high on opium Taliban militants - Oct 28, 2009
- Al Qaeda training snipers to attack British, US troops - Dec 02, 2011
- Taliban running out of bullets, bombs in Afghanistan - Nov 16, 2010
- Brit Special Forces seize Iranian made rockets from Taliban - Mar 10, 2011
- Turkey to produce rifles at home - Jul 05, 2011
- Britain to have unmanned stealth jet - Jul 13, 2010
- Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunition - Dec 01, 2011
- Russians get trained for Austrian sniper rifles - Dec 10, 2011
- UK troops find 'bomb factory' in Afghan operation - Aug 01, 2010
- New sub-machinegun can pierce bullet-proof jackets: DRDO - Feb 17, 2010
- Angel of Death - most lethal flying artillery against terrorists - Aug 02, 2010
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Smart bullets to pinpoint and kill Afghan terrorists - Nov 30, 2010
- British sniper kills two Taliban with one bullet, reveals new book - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: ak 47, ammunition, bae systems, british troops, close combat, close quarters, daily express, defence firms, dirty harry, distances, firepower, helmand province afghanistan, initial batch, punch, rifles, secondary weapons, taliban, taliban in afghanistan, target, uk defence