UK Koran burner jailed for 70 daysApril 19th, 2011 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 18 (ANI): Andrew Ryan, a former British squaddie who had burnt the Koran after seeing Muslims set fire to poppies, has been jailed for 70 days.
Thirty-two-year-old Ryan was outraged after watching videos of extremists, which had shown them abusing soldiers returning from duty in Afghanistan.
He then stole a Koran worth five pounds from a library, and burnt it on the street shouting: “You burn our poppies, I’ll burn your Koran,” The Sun reports.
Ryan, who is in the right-wing English Defence League, has admitted charges of religiously aggravated harassment, alarm and distress and stealing the library book in January.
Eleven of his supporters walked out of Carlisle Magistrates’ Court in Cumbria after the sentencing, shouting: “That’s a joke.”
The sentencing came after Islamic extremist Emdadur Choudhury was fined 60 pounds for burning poppies in London on Armistice Day. (ANI)
- Muslim fanatics plan to turn UK royal wedding into 'nightmare' - Apr 20, 2011
- Man arrested in England for allegedly burning Koran - Jan 21, 2011
- Man jailed for failing to return library books - Sep 07, 2011
- Unidentified 'hate filled' American burns pages of Koran near Ground Zero - Sep 12, 2010
- War veterans jeer Blackpool woman who urinated on memorial, performed sex act nearby - Aug 21, 2010
- Koran protests resume in Afghanistan's Kandahar province - Apr 03, 2011
- British police arrest terror suspects near n-plant - May 04, 2011
- Father, spying on son, caught with child porn - Aug 31, 2011
- Terrorist jailed for 23 years in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Oz seeks bitter Ashes revenge by making marmalade better than Brits! - Feb 07, 2011
- Man steals to spend 400,000 pounds on prostitutes, jailed - Apr 07, 2012
- Koran burning US pastor jailed - Apr 23, 2011
- Taliban stirring violence in Afghanistan: Senior police officials - Apr 10, 2011
- Bodybuilder dies of taser gun bolt! - Aug 18, 2011
- Air chief leads Remembrance Day for troops - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, andrew ryan, armistice, carlisle, cumbria, defence league, english defence, extremists, harassment, islamic extremist, joke, koran, library book, london, magistrates court, muslims, poppies, sun reports