UK Home Secretary embarrassed to find illegal immigrant working at Home Office front deskDecember 18th, 2007 - 7:40 pm ICT by admin
London, Dec.18 (ANI): British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith faced huge embarrassment on Monday when it emerged that an illegal immigrant had been working at the front desk of the ministry.
According to The Independent, a Nigerian man was picked up as immigration officers examined the status of more than 11,000 foreigners mistakenly cleared to work across Britain.
Aides said Smith was furious over the discovery of an illegal worker within her own department. The security guard had been in the department for about 18 months, checking the passes of visitors to the Home Office.
The man, supplied to the department by a sub-contractor, faces deportation after being arrested on Friday night.
The Border and Immigration Agency had been examining the records of 11,100 non-European Union nationals given permission to work by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
It uncovered problems with a sub-contractor and the trail led it to the Home Office, its own department headquarters.
Smith said that the Permanent Secretary has taken immediate steps to tighten the procedures for checking the immigration status of those working in the Home Office, whether as a civil servant, employed by a contractor, or in any other capacity.”
Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said Smith needed to put her own house in order before pointing fingers at the opposition on the issue.
“It is clear this Government is part of the problem, not the solution,” he said.
Jeremy Browne, the Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, said: “The Home Office seems to mess up with depressing regularity, but this latest breach of security goes literally to the heart of government.” (ANI)
- Labour in Communist China suffer exploitation - Dec 15, 2011
- US apex court sides with Obama on immigration law - Jun 25, 2012
- UK linked to Bangladeshi secret torture centres - Jan 18, 2011
- 70 arrested Chinese released in Nigeria (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- 45 Chinese arrested in Nigeria - May 24, 2012
- US urges Cuba to free jailed American contractor - Feb 20, 2010
- Tri-Valley University head indicted in visa fraud - May 04, 2011
- U.S. District Judge blocks controversial parts of new Arizona immigration law - Jul 29, 2010
- US to let illegal students stay and work - Aug 19, 2011
- Indian-American couple scammed $460M from New York project - Jun 21, 2011
- India to raise terror threat in talks with Bangladesh - Nov 18, 2011
- Asylum seekers in China to get legal status - Jul 02, 2012
- Officials warned on child marriages - Mar 22, 2011
- Senate says US mismanaged contractor money in Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2010
- Government to set up board for project clearance - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: affairs spokesman, british home secretary, civil servant, david davis, department headquarters, depressing regularity, european union nationals, front desk, illegal immigrant, illegal worker, immigration agency, immigration officers, immigration status, jacqui smith, jeremy browne, liberal democrat, nigerian man, pointing fingers, shadow home secretary, uk home secretary