UK court rules criticising, shouting at partner is domestic abuseJanuary 27th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 27 (ANI): The Supreme Court in Britain has ruled that criticising and shouting at partner and not giving them money constitutes as domestic violence.
According to the Daily Mail, Lady Brenda Hale, who led a bench of five judges, made the ruling in the case of Mihret Yemshaw, 35, who had applied for free housing entitled to victims of domestic abuse, News.com.au reported.
Yemshaw said her husband had yelled at her in front of their two children and did not give her money for housekeeping, but officials in Hounslow, West London, rejected her request as her husband had never hit her or threatened physical violence.
But after the new ruling it means that Hounslow council will be required to reconsider Yemshaw’s case.
As under the landmark ruling, denying money to a partner or criticising them could also count as abusive behaviour. (ANI)
- Yukta Mookhey accuses husband of abusing her - Sep 14, 2012
- How women fend off domestic violence - Feb 16, 2011
- Saudi woman freed after serving over 6 months in jail for disobeying father - Oct 26, 2010
- Anti-domestic violence bill introduced in Kashmir assembly - Mar 26, 2010
- Domestic violence cases on the rise in Delhi courts - Aug 19, 2010
- 6 out of 10 male drug-addicts abuse their intimate partners - Mar 04, 2011
- Problem teens bashing up parents - Feb 24, 2012
- Maintenance laws misused by greedy: Court (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- TV show aims to curb domestic violence - Mar 08, 2012
- U.S. traffic cop pulls over car, ends up delivering passenger's baby - Aug 05, 2010
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Woman double-crosses court for son's custody, gets rap - Feb 25, 2012
- Mamata indicates end of alliance with Congress in Bengal - Jul 21, 2012
- In Britain, hostility within family could mean crime - Dec 12, 2011
- Judge Mr Justice Mostyn orders that husband is entitled to money from his ex-wife's lottery win - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: abusive behaviour, bench, brenda hale, daily mail, domestic abuse, domestic violence, hounslow west, housekeeping, lady brenda, landmark, mail lady, melbourne, mihret, money, news com au, physical violence, supreme court, west london