UK commander says Karzai’s step-bro would rather watch Chelsea playMay 14th, 2010 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, May 14 (ANI): A senior British commander attached with the NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, has revealed that Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s half-brother, Ahmad Wali Karzai, would “rather be watching Chelsea” play football than be involved in sorting out his nation’s problems.Powerful Wali Karzai has repeatedly been accused of having links with drug tafficking and corruption - which he denies.
Major General Nick Carter, the British commander of NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, said: “Ahmad Wali Karzai is an avid Chelsea supporter.
“He tells me he would far rather be watching Chelsea win the Premiership than wasting time trying to settle disputes at his house in south-western Kandahar city.”
The senior soldier also revealed concerns over Kandahar’s powerful provincial council providing “much more governance than perhaps it is mandated to do through the Afghan Constitution.”
He suggested that Wali Karzai is willing to relinquish some of his influence.
The British commander said the situation in Kandahar was more complicated than in Helmand, but it was “essentially a political problem”. (ANI)
- Afghan president's half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- NATO forces kill Afghan president's cousin by mistake - Mar 10, 2011
- PM shocked at Ahmed Karzai's assassination - Jul 12, 2011
- Rabbani to brief India on Taliban reconciliation - Jul 13, 2011
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
- Over 30 killed in serial suicide attacks in Afghanistan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Karzai's half-brother lobbied for role in Canadian aid project in Afghanistan - Nov 29, 2010
- Kabul condemns civilian casualties in NATO air strike - Feb 22, 2010
- Five killed in blast at Wali Karzai memorial service - Jul 14, 2011
- German magazine links Karzai's half-brother to Afghan narco trade - Aug 14, 2009
- Fresh Kandahar offensive may be delayed until fall - May 18, 2010
- UK war effort in Helmand branded 'utter failure' by US, Afghanistan: Wikileaks - Dec 03, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Taliban says it's ready to face offensive as bombers attack base - Apr 28, 2010
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: ahmad wali, british commander, bro, constitution, corruption, governance, half brother, hamid karzai, helmand, kabul, kandahar, nato, nato forces, nick carter, premiership, provincial council, soldier, southern afghanistan, wasting time