UK chip shop owner serves up deep-fried creme eggs for EasterApril 11th, 2011 - 4:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 11 (ANI): Chip shop owner Martyn Bilby, from Donaster, South Yorkshire, has a special Easter treat in store for his customers - the deep-fried creme egg.
Containing 350 calories, the battered egg idea came up after the self-styled Heston Blumenthal sold some deep-fried mince pies at Christmas.
“I will try anything,” the Daily Mail quoted Bilby as saying. “Quite a few people have tried them already.”
“The idea is to eat it quickly while the batter is still hot, and before the chocolate inside begins to melt.
“If you let them go cold it can get a bit soggy in the middle. I’m not saying they are healthy, but it is something for a treat,” he said.
‘There are a lot of foods where if you eat too much of them it is bad for you, but I see these as just a treat for Easter,” he added.
And despite the look - and possibly, the taste - he says customers buying them so far have been of all ages.
“People turn their noses up at first,” he said. “But once they try them they eat their words and agree that they are really tasty.
But perhaps unsurprisingly, some local people are not persuaded by the thought of a deep-fat fried creme egg - even if the proceeds are going to charity.
David Goodwin, 64, a tax inspector said: ‘I wouldn’t have one given to me - and certainly wouldn’t pay for one.
“It doesn’t appeal at all. I’m not into unusual food, though I did once try tripe. I didn’t like that either.”
Bilby plans to donate all the proceeds from his latest invention to charity. (ANI)
- Fried food is my weakness, says Gwyneth Paltrow - Dec 15, 2010
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Heston Blumenthal Serves Worm Pizza To Kids In Hospital - Feb 08, 2011
- Corn Dog Pizza wins blue ribbon at Minnesota State Fair - Sep 24, 2010
- Happy Easter, says B-town - Apr 08, 2012
- With marzipan and cake, Mumbai celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- I can't be as big as Jessica: Snooki - Apr 28, 2012
- Fried Kool aid is a bestseller at the San Diego County Fair - Jun 21, 2011
- Brit ITV drama's executive producer suspended over racism in role selection - Mar 15, 2011
- Easter egg prices soar, but fervour spreads in Goa - Apr 23, 2011
- Brits 'likelier to eat fried tarantulas, sheeps' eyes' than other Europeans - Oct 11, 2010
- Gwyneth Paltrow's ultra healthy lifestyle goes for a toss - Jun 26, 2010
- Doughnut Burgers And Deep-Fried Butter Represent The Popular New Foods At The State Fairs In America - Aug 11, 2010
- Deep-fried beer on its way - Sep 01, 2010
- Apple in toffee syrup or marshmallows? Take your Easter pick - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: bilby, calories, charity, chip shop, chocolate, christmas, creme egg, daily mail, david goodwin, eggs, heston blumenthal, latest invention, noses, pies, proceeds, south yorkshire, t pay, tax inspector, tripe, yorkshire