UK burqa clad mother not allowed to attend son’s school functionApril 4th, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.4 (ANI): A Muslim mother has been turned away from a school parents’ evening for her son because she was wearing a full-length veil.
According to The Telegraph, police were called when the 34-year-old refused to leave Our Lady and St. John Catholic Art College, in Blackburn, Lancashire, which she attended herself.
The comprehensive school operates a policy which requires anyone entering the building to remove specific headwear for identification purposes.She claims the problem first surfaced at a parents’ evening two years ago when she was told she was not allowed into the main hall while wearing her niqab.
A minority of Muslim women in the UK as part of their religious beliefs, to protect their modesty from men, wears the full veil, which covers all the body except the eyes.
The woman, who does not wish to be named, said: “I explained that I was willing to take off the veil in front of the female teachers, but not the male teachers.
“A year later the same thing happened when I went to drop my son off at the school. Then this week at a parent’s evening I signed myself in and saw two teachers in the library as I was not allowed in the main hall.
“Then I got asked by a senior member of staff whether I was aware of the school’s policy on identification.”
Since the issue arose in 2007, the school’s policy has been amended to include full veils with items such as hoodies and crash helmets that have to be removed before entering the building.
The woman claims that had she been made aware of the change in advance, she would not have enrolled her son at her former school. (ANI)
- France puts burqua ban into effect - Apr 11, 2011
- Egyptian channel with veiled women launches broadcast - Jul 21, 2012
- Veiled Muslim women barred from entering France - Jun 13, 2012
- Judge bans burqa in Australian court - Aug 19, 2010
- Canada outraged over security exemption for niqab-wearing women - Aug 02, 2010
- Egypt to launch TV channel with fully-veiled women - Jul 12, 2012
- Women refusing to remove niqab in Canada will be charged - Mar 31, 2010
- Niqab becoming a flash point in Canada - Mar 23, 2010
- 25-year-old Indian-origin woman ordered to unveil or leave French course in Canada - Apr 12, 2010
- Moderate Muslims slam Brit Islamic schools for forcing girl students to wear burka - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Mortified' Muslim women barred from US skating rink for not removing headscarves - Nov 26, 2010
- British MP says he won't meet veiled Muslim women - Jul 17, 2010
- After France, niqab controversy now hots up in Canada - Mar 04, 2010
- Saudi clerics declare French Muslim women exempt from wearing veils - Jul 26, 2010
- Niqab for Muslim women banned in Canadian province - Mar 25, 2010
Tags: art college, blackburn lancashire, burqa, catholic art, comprehensive school, crash helmets, female teachers, full length, headwear, hoodies, male teachers, modesty, muslim women, religious beliefs, school parents, st john, telegraph, veil, veils, woman claims