UK Border Agency shells out 13 million pounds to asylum seekers in errorAugust 2nd, 2010 - 7:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 2 (ANI): The UK Border Agency’s annual accounts have shown that it shelled out 13 million pounds to asylum seekers in error over the past two years. It overpaid 9.6 million pounds in 2008-09 and another 3.5 million pounds in 2009-10.
According to The Sun, the agency blamed a system malfunction for the horrifying gaffe, which indicate that automatic payments never stopped when decisions were made to withdraw asylum support. To prevent itself from further shame, it stated that new checks have been introduced to ensure that such incident doesn’t happen again.
“Overpayments should not be happening and we are committed to seeing them dramatically reduced. It is crucial that taxpayers’ money is spent wisely,” Agency chief executive Lin Homer said.
The asylum seekers were not the only ones to benefit from the agency’s shocking failures.
Staffs were overpaid 4.3 million pounds after they quit or notified bosses at late notice that they were going on unpaid leave.
Some 1.4 million pounds of the cash, involving around 600 cases, was being written off as unrecoverable.
The agency was forced to hand over a total of around 3 million pounds last year in compensation including 2.1 million pounds to 40 under18s who were wrongly detained as adults and sums of around 360,000 pounds each to two members of the public who were unlawfully detained and 330,000 pounds to a refugee who was treated as an adult rather than a minor due to delays processing paperwork.
The agency is in dispute over 12 million pounds claimed by six organisations which provide accommodation for asylum seekers, the accounts revealed. (ANI)
- UK lawyers were paid 11 m pounds to fight failed immigration cases - Apr 17, 2011
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Pakistan was world's 8th largest asylum-seeker in 2010 - Apr 01, 2011
- 350,000 foreigners enter Britain on 'student' visas - Aug 02, 2010
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- British plans to expel Afghan child refugees under attack - Jun 08, 2010
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Seven kids among dead in Australia boat capsize (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- 36 Sri Lankans deported, reach Colombo (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
- Over 2000 foreign criminals have left UK with triple bribes - Nov 10, 2010
- Small 3.8 quake hits near Homer, Alaska - Mar 11, 2010
- Hindus appeal the world to do more for uprooted and stateless - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, 6 million, accommodation, asylum seekers, automatic payments, checks, chief executive, decisions, gaffe, homer, organisations, paperwork, refugee, shame, shells, staffs, sums, system malfunction, taxpayers