UK airports on alert over dummy bomb warningsDecember 18th, 2010 - 4:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 18 (ANI): UK counter-terrorism officials have said that terror scouts are testing airport security amid fears that regional airports have been targeted for dummy bomb runs.
According to the Guardian, counter-terrorist sources added that authorities are on the look-out for potential bomb plots ahead of Christmas, including the possibility of plotters placing dummy bombs to check security procedures.
They also said that official bodies might also use dummy bombs to see whether their procedures “pass the test”.
X-ray scans of two suspect packages at a regional airport have been noticed in the last three months that show items officials fear have a similar profile to improvised explosive devices.
One package, concealed in a box inside a passenger’s carry-on luggage, consisted of a BlackBerry attached to a bottle of baby “gripewater” with a charging cable that appeared like a deto9nator to officials. The second one was discovered a week later in the hand baggage containing a mobile phone and a liquid bottle.
Among counter-terrorism officials there is a belief that the security of airports is “periodically being tested”.
“Periodically they [suspected terrorists] are seeing how the system works, that the security systems are being tested,” the paper quoted a security source, as saying.
Officials are concerned about a range of threats to the UK including a Mumbai-style attack, as well as the continuing danger of explosives being secreted on passenger planes like the ‘exposed’ Yemen ink cartridge bomb plot. (ANI)
- Four jailed in Denmark for Mumbai-style terror plot - Jun 04, 2012
- Bomb discovery underscores threat from Yemen, al-Qaeda: US offficial - Oct 30, 2010
- Now thermoses, coffee cups added to terror weapons list - Dec 25, 2010
- Terror plot to bomb US-bound plane foiled (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Suspicious device at Namibia airport was part of U.S. security test - Nov 19, 2010
- Scotland Yard, TSA and White House statements regarding potential terror plot - Oct 30, 2010
- Plot to blow up US-bound jet foiled - May 08, 2012
- Plane lands safely at JFK amid global terror alerts - Oct 30, 2010
- Failure to find bomb at East Midlands airport a "weakness", says counter-terrorism expert - Nov 01, 2010
- Intending underpant bomber was British double agent - May 11, 2012
- Americans warned to be vigilant of Xmas terror attacks - Dec 24, 2010
- Al-Qaeda bombs too sophisticated to be detected by x-rays, says Brit counter-terrorism expert - Nov 01, 2010
- Saudis warned US before discovery of parcel bomb plot - Nov 06, 2010
- 'Several people involved in Mumbai-type European attacks plot identified': Haqqani - Oct 05, 2010
- Hoax bomb threat at Chennai airport - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: airport security, bomb plot, counter terrorism, dummy bombs, explosive devices, gripewater, hand baggage, ink cartridge, liquid bottle, passenger planes, plotters, regional airport, regional airports, security procedures, security source, security systems, style attack, suspect packages, uk airports, x ray