Uganda begins withdrawing troops from CongoMarch 15th, 2009 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kampala, March 15 (DPA) Uganda began withdrawing its troops from northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a senior Ugandan army official said Sunday.
“The process of bringing them back starts today. They are being flown out because the time for their mission there expired some weeks ago,” Ugandan military air force spokesman Captain Tabaro Kiconco told DPA.
In a recent meeting with Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, Congolese President Joseph Kabila refused to renew the deployment of Ugandan troops.
Hundreds of Ugandan soldiers were sent in December to fight Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) guerrillas in Congo’s Garamba national park, where they had fled late 2004 after being flushed out of former bases in Sudan.
Joint Ugandan, Congolese and southern Sudanese forces were engaged in an aerial and ground offensive against the LRA which had fought a civil war for more than two decades that left thousands dead, mutilated, and abducted and close to two million displaced in northern Uganda.
Uganda initiated military action against the LRA when the rebels refused to sign a final peace agreement in early 2008. The rebels insisted that the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague (in the Netherlands) first withdraw arrest warrants issued in 2005 against their top leaders for war crimes.
Human rights and UN bodies have said the joint military offensive was flawed in that in response the LRA, as is its habit, turned on civilians in Congo, the Central African Republic and Sudan, killing and abducting them.
UN and other independent sources say that the rebels have so far killed about 1,000 people, abducted hundreds and forced tens of thousands from their homes since the recent military campaign began.
- UN to meet with central African governments to fight Lord's Resistance Army - Mar 15, 2012
- Ugandan rebels kill more than 40 Congolese civilians - Dec 27, 2008
- Congo offensive sparks more killings, sexual violence: UN - Oct 16, 2009
- Ugandan rebels killed 321 in Congo massacre: Rights group - Mar 28, 2010
- Ugandan rebels kill about 400 in Congo: Aid group - Dec 31, 2008
- Ugandan rebels massacre 45 Congolese civilians - Dec 29, 2008
- African armies move against Ugandan rebels - Dec 15, 2008
- Ugandan rebels attack villages, military base in Sudan - Sep 20, 2008
- Ugandan parliament honours Olympic gold winner - Aug 17, 2012
- Ugandan president rewards Olympic gold medal winner - Aug 16, 2012
- Museveni re-elected Uganda's president - Feb 20, 2011
- Uganda's Prez filing lawsuit against hip-hop rappers over campaign song - Dec 09, 2010
- Ansari on three-day visit to South Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- Helicopter-borne poachers kill 22 elephants in Congo - Apr 25, 2012
- Lord's Resistance Army Killed Around 321 Civilians In Makombo Massacre, Report Says - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: army official, arrest warrants, congolese president, democratic republic of congo, final peace, garamba national park, international criminal court, joseph kabila, military air force, peace agreement, president joseph kabila, president yoweri museveni, republic of congo, resistance army, southern sudanese, ugandan army, ugandan soldiers, ugandan troops, war crimes, yoweri museveni