UEFA decision ends speculation on hosting Euro 2012September 27th, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Sep 27 (DPA) UEFA’s decision is final that Poland and Ukraine will host Euro 2012, the head of Poland’s football association Michal Listkiewicz said after the European body decided to keep the two nations as co-hosts of the football championship.”This ends any speculation on the possibility of taking this tournament away from us,” Listkiewicz told the Polish Press Agency. “I was rather prepared that UEFA would still leave itself a bit of time.”
Listkiewicz said UEFA told Poland it had made a clear improvement in preparation efforts, but “risks” remained in getting airports and hotels ready.
Doubts also remained about the building on time of stadiums in Chorzow and Warsaw, he added, which were judged as “very” or “highly” risky projects.
Ukraine fared better with stadiums, but worse with remaining infrastructure.
UEFA announced Friday it was to keep Poland and Ukraine as co-hosts of Euro 2012, but warned both countries that any “slackening” in efforts could still put the tournament in doubt.
In May 2009, the executive committee is due to decide whether the co-hosts have fulfilled criteria relating to venues in four Polish cities.
The two former Soviet-bloc states were unlikely UEFA picks to host the prestigious tournament and had both received prior warnings to step up their efforts.
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Poland claims it is well prepared for Euro 2012 - May 09, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Polish hotels begin lowering tariff before Euro 2012 - May 25, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- First match at National Stadium of Poland free of incident - Mar 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish government launches social campaign - May 26, 2012
- UEFA pleased with Euro 2012 preparations, says Ukraine - Nov 22, 2011
- Russia cracks down on Euro 2012 ticket touting - May 27, 2012
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- Fornalik is new Poland football coach - Jul 11, 2012
- Poland opens Police Command Center for Euro 2012 - Feb 29, 2012
- Ukraine's Euro 2012 preparations enter home stretch: President - May 31, 2012