Udinese, Napoli leave Inter Milan behindOctober 30th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Oct 30 (DPA) Udinese and Napoli retained the lead in the Italian Serie A through respective wins against Catania and Reggina and left behind champions Inter Milan, who were held to a scoreless draw at Fiorentina.Udinese beat hosting Catania 2-0 for a 20-point tally and a better goal difference than Napoli, who trounced Reggina 3-0 with a hat-trick from Argentinian German Denis Wednesday.
Next weekend Napoli visit Inter as the champions trail on 18, while AC Milan are now third after edging guests Siena 2-1 for a 19-point total.
In Florence, the hosts ended a run of four consecutive wins but kept up well with Inter, who had to settle for a second straight 0-0 draw.
Inter had their best opportunities when Brazilian Mancini hit the bar on five minutes and, after the break, through a good shot from the just-fielded Hernan Crespo, which was well saved by Sebastien Frey.
A Manuel Pasqual free kick in the 43rd minute forced a great save from Julio Cesar, and Riccardo Pazzini headed an inviting cross high with four minutes left.
“I think it was a difficult game,” Inter coach Jose Mourinho said. “I can say that no team risked much. We had good chances, but they also did. There were no goals, but it was a true, difficult game. I can only say good things about my men.”
Udinese had Chilean Alexis Sanchez and Fabio Quagliarella on target to clinch a win that marred the unbeaten home record of Catania.
The home crowd in Naples went wild over Denis’ hat-trick, as he fired home a great shot early in the game and added two easy lay-ins as the San Paolo had all its sectors open after a three-game disciplinary ban.
Lazio won 2-1 at Chievo to go level on 16 points with Genoa, who won 2-1 over 10-man Cagliari and trail Fiorentina by one point.
Giants Juventus snatched a 2-1 win at Bologna, Torino beat Atalanta 2-1, and Lecce were one man down as they drew 1-1 against Palermo, while Roma-Sampdoria was suspended after five minutes due to heavy rain.
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- Inzaghi hits treble as AC Milan trounce Atalanta - Mar 09, 2009
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Ronaldinho hat-trick sees AC Milan close in on Inter - Jan 18, 2010
- Inzaghi sinks minnows Torino in Serie A - Apr 20, 2009