UAE writes off $4 bn worth Iraqi debtsJuly 6th, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, July 6 (IANS) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) Sunday announced that it has written off debts and interests worth $4 billion owed by Iraq, WAM new agency reported. President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan made the announcement after meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki here, the report said.
Maliki is on a two-day visit to the UAE. He is accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising ministers of interior, trade, industry and mining.
Sheikh Khalifa said the measure was a “genuine expression of brotherhood and solidarity between the two countries. It is an effort to assist Iraq to carry out reconstruction projects and rehabilitation of institutions”.
He said the decision would ease economic burden on the Iraqi people.
Maliki’s visit to the Gulf country is a signal of the increasing bilateral ties, said Ismat Siddiq, the Iraqi Consul General in Dubai.
“The UAE is one of the important Arab countries involved in the rebuilding work in Iraq. The country has provided monetary and material support to Iraq,” Siddiq said.
Maliki said: “UAE’s decision to write off the debts would enhance the credit position of the Iraqi economy and would help restore security and stability”.
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- Iraq, UAE to strengthen bilateral ties - Feb 04, 2011
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- UAE's new envoy takes charge in Libya - Apr 30, 2012
- UAE greets world leaders on New Year - Dec 29, 2011
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- UAE gives $38 mn to build Pakistan highway - Jan 15, 2012
- 36 UAE diplomats sworn in - Aug 04, 2012
- UAE to release 676 prisoners to mark Ramadan - Jul 26, 2011
- UAE hails Nazarbayev's idea to modernise Muslim World - Jun 08, 2011
- UAE greets India, Pakistan on Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- UAE to provide $136mn food aid for Yemen - Jun 04, 2012
- UAE attorney general hails amnesty for 554 prisoners - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, arab countries, bilateral ties, brotherhood, consul, credit position, economic burden, genuine expression, iraqi economy, khalifa bin zayed, level delegation, material support, nuri al maliki, president sheikh khalifa, reconstruction projects, sheikh khalifa bin zayed, sheikh khalifa bin zayed al nahyan, united arab emirates, work in iraq, zayed al nahyan