UAE signs pact with Korea for nuclear cooperationMarch 16th, 2011 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, March 15 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates and South Korea Tuesday signed an agreement for cooperation in the areas of nuclear safeguards, export controls and physical protection.
The pact was signed by the UAE’s independent regulator for the nuclear sector, Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR)’s Director General William D. Travers and President of the Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control (KINAC) Chang Sang-Ku of South Korea.
Under its implementing arrangement, FANR and KINAC will exchange information, experience, staff and technology related to ensuring a peaceful nuclear programme under international non-proliferation obligations. It is based on a UAE-Republic of Korea Government-to-Government agreement signed in 2009, said FANR’s press release.
“This is yet another example of the UAE’s emphasis on securing Korean support in the establishment of a peaceful nuclear energy programme,” said said William D. Travers during the signing ceremony.
“We want to use KINAC’s proven experience through day-to-day projects,” he added.
Dr Chang Sang-Ku, President of the Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control (KINAC), also emphasized the importance of cooperation between his organisation and FANR.
- UAE to seek public opinion on nuclear rules - Aug 14, 2010
- UAE calls for n-weapons free Middle EAst - Sep 21, 2012
- UAE, Australia discuss ties - Aug 25, 2012
- UAE daily praises country's nuclear strides - Nov 27, 2010
- UAE, Kazakhstan sign customs pact - May 16, 2012
- UAE for nuclear energy use by all NPT members - May 05, 2010
- UAE, Britain sign nuclear cooperation agreement - Nov 25, 2010
- UAE signs air services accord with Uruguay - May 04, 2011
- US, S.Korea plan to discuss N.Korea's nuke programme - Mar 02, 2011
- UAE, Albania to enhance economic cooperation - Jan 22, 2012
- UAE, Germany to collaborate on security - Mar 12, 2012
- UAE, Switzerland discuss bilateral cooperation - Jun 03, 2012
- UAE, South Korea sign nuclear training deal - May 04, 2010
- UAE, IAEA sign cooperation agreement - Dec 06, 2011
- UAE, Brazil seek closer trade ties - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: director general, export controls, fanr, government agreement, independent regulator, information experience, korea government, korea institute, korean support, nuclear cooperation, nuclear energy, nuclear non proliferation, nuclear regulation, nuclear safeguards, nuclear sector, pact, republic of korea, signing ceremony, south korea, united arab emirates