UAE probes Indian fisherman’s killing by US ship (Lead)July 17th, 2012 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
Dubai, July 17 (IANS) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is probing a shooting incident by a US ship that left an Indian fisherman dead and three Indians seriously injured, an official said.
The US Navy supply ship opened fire Monday evening on a fishing boat near the mouth of Jebel Ali Port in Dubai, WAM news agency quoted a UAE foreign ministry official as saying.
Tariq Ahmed Al Haidan, assistant to UAE foreign minister for political affairs, said an Indian fisherman was killed and three Indians were seriously injured.
“The UAE concerned authorities are investigating the shooting incident,” he added.
The US military ship fired at the small boat off the UAE coast as the latter “ignored the warnings and came too close”, Xinhua quoted sources as saying.
The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel re-supply ship, fired upon the small motor vessel after it disregarded warnings and rapidly approached the US ship near Jebel Ali, according to a statement of the US navy’s Bahrain-based fifth fleet.
Sailors on the USNS Rappahannock used a series of non-lethal, pre-planned responses to warn the vessel’s operators to turn away from their “deliberate” approach before resorting to lethal force, the statement said.
Jebel Ali port, the largest port in the Middle East, is frequently visited by the ships of the US navy as a rest port for sailors.
- US Navy ship fires at boat off UAE coast - Jul 17, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- US condoles death of Indian fisherman in shooting - Jul 17, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- US ship didn't warn Indian fishermen: Dubai police chief - Jul 19, 2012
- India trying to repatriate body of killed fisherman - Jul 17, 2012
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- India for probe into US deadly attack on fishermen off Dubai (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- US insists fishing vessel was warned before firing - Jul 18, 2012
- Krishna says UAE probing Indian fisherman's killing - Jul 17, 2012
- US assures India of probe into fisherman's killing - Jul 20, 2012
- Awaiting envoy's report on Indian fisherman's killing: Krishna - Jul 19, 2012
- US assures transparent probe into fisherman killing - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: deliberate approach, fifth fleet, fisherman, fishing boat, foreign minister, foreign ministry, jebel ali port, lethal force, military ship, ministry official, motor vessel, political affairs, sailors, small boat, supply ship, united arab emirates, us navy, usns, wam news agency, xinhua