UAE lauded for its work in AfghanistanAugust 25th, 2011 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Aug 25 (IANS/WAM) Afghanistan is now involved in a strenuous nation-building process that requires consistency and commitment, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has been helping the country work towards its goal, a prominent UAE daily said Thursday.
For the past eight years, the UAE Armed Forces stationed in Afghanistan has been involved in numerous activities like clearing land mines and humanitarian work such as providing aid and medical services.
“The manner in which the UAE has carried out its mission is unquestionably impressive. There are six funded medical clinics, 11 schools, 38 mosques, a general public library, a hospital, and an accommodation for displaced families. In 2009, the UAE committed more than 1.26 billion dirhams in aid, which represents 14 percent of its total foreign aid in 2009,” the Gulf News said in an editorial.
In addition to the UAE government’s provisions, the people of the UAE have contributed $22 million for food, medicine, housing and shelter, and basic relief projects.
“Yet what distinguishes the UAE’s Armed Forces in Afghanistan is not limited to humanitarian efforts. These forces have also been involved with local leaders in setting up consultative councils to bring together the people in their fight against insurgents and to build their communities. And it is this holistic humanitarian approach that lends distinction to what the UAE is seeking to accomplish in Afghanistan,” the paper said.
- UAE to launch campaign to raise donations for Yemen - Jun 21, 2012
- UAE constructs village for Mongolian Muslims - Jul 12, 2011
- US lauds UAE troops' mission in Afghanistan - Sep 05, 2011
- UAE armed forces release book on role in Afghanistan - Jan 01, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth greets UAE on national day - Dec 01, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to UN's Libya mission - Mar 25, 2011
- UAE receives military transport aircraft from Boeing - May 11, 2011
- UAE charity sends five tonnes of dates to India - Mar 31, 2012
- UAE aid vessel arrives in Karachi - Dec 14, 2010
- Two tonnes of fake cosmetics seized in UAE in 2011 - Feb 13, 2012
- Peaceful future will prevail: UAE minister - Sep 10, 2011
- 56 Sharjah varsity students to get sponsorship - Nov 14, 2011
- UAE, China hold bilateral talks - Mar 30, 2012
- Production begins for award-winning UAE film projects - Nov 30, 2011
- Sharjah skyscraper catches fire - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, consultative councils, dg, dirhams, food medicine, foreign aid, gulf news, humanitarian approach, humanitarian efforts, humanitarian work, insurgents, land mines, medical clinics, mosques, nation building, relief projects, uae government, united arab emirates, wam, work in afghanistan