UAE helps 5,000 Somalians returnDecember 31st, 2011 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Dec 31 (IANS/WAM) Around 5,000 displaced Somalian villagers staying at a camp of around 30,000 people in the capital Mogadishu have been repatriated to their villages by the United Arab Emirates’ Red Crescent Authority (RCA).
RCA chairman Ahmed Humaid Al Mazrouie said 465 families comprising about 3,000 displaced people have returned to their and villages in the second phase of the programme, while around 2,000 people had returned in the first convoy.
The displaced families were living at the UAE Raja (Hope) makeshift camp in Mogadishu.
Launched in November 2011, the RCA repatriation programme provides every family with food supplies for three months in addition to $400 to help purchase basic things needed for resettlement.
The aim of the programme was to help the displaced people go back to their fields and benefit from the good rainy season.
The UAE initiative has been appreciated by Somali President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, the RCA chief said.
Saleh Al Taie, RCA deputy secretary-general for relief and projects, said $1.6 million has been earmarked for the repatriation programme.
- UAE charity, Oxfam to help displaced Pakistanis - Nov 30, 2010
- UAE launches relief programme in Somalia - Jul 31, 2011
- UAE builds village in flood-hit Pakistan - Oct 05, 2010
- Pact inked on developing Palestine's infrastructure - Oct 14, 2010
- UN praises UAE's help in flood-hit Pakistan - Oct 01, 2010
- UAE begins new humanitarian mission in Pakistan - Apr 17, 2011
- UAE builds hospital in Somalia - Nov 09, 2011
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- UAE mobile hospital treats Syrian refugees in Jordan - Aug 20, 2012
- UAE charity distributes aid to Uzbek refugees - Jun 21, 2010
- UAE sends health mission to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 25, 2010
- UAE expands food aid programme in Yemen - Jul 19, 2012
- UAE bakery feeds 5,000 Somali families a day - Jul 09, 2012
- Pact signed to sponsor 5,000 Indonesian orphans - Oct 22, 2011
- UAE charity distributes meat in 60 countries - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: 6 million, abu dhabi, ahmed, capital mogadishu, convoy, deputy secretary general, food supplies, makeshift camp, rainy season, rca, red crescent, repatriation, resettlement, saleh, second phase, sharif, somali president, taie, united arab emirates, wam