UAE calls on Islamic countries to fight against insecurityJune 19th, 2008 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kampala, June 19 (IANS) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has called on Islamic countries to unitedly fight to create political and humanitarian conditions to arrest the growing insecurity and suffering in the Islamic world, WAM news agency reported Thursday. All Islamic countries should come forward with political, humanitarian and developmental support for other countries of the Islamic world, Anwar Mohammed Gargash, minister of State for foreign affairs, told the 35th session of the Organisation of Islamic Conference’s (OIC) ministerial council, now under way in this capital city of Uganda.
Gargash also announced at the meeting that the UAE would donate $2 million to the OIC’s Islamic Solidarity Fund to “enable it to play a major humanitarian role effectively”.
“The gesture was part of the UAE’s continuous support for the OIC and its institutions,” the minister said.
Touching on the Palestinian issue, the minister reiterated UAE’s unflinching support for the Arab peace initiative and said that UAE believed the initiative was the most practical means of solving the Palestinian issue.
“This is the best way to achieve a just and comprehensive peace in the Middle East. Unfortunately, Israel remained noncommittal to its promises made at the Annapolis Conference, to push forward the wheel of negotiations with the Palestinian National Authority,” he said.
The OIC kicked off its annual meeting of foreign ministers Wednesday with a special focus on developmental issues.
During the three-day meeting OIC leaders are seeking to hammer out how the Islamic body distributes its $6-billion development fund to help needy countries fight the global crises and eradicate poverty.
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- United Arab Emirates congratulates Palestine on UNESCO vote - Nov 02, 2011
- UAE, US discuss ways to combat human trafficking - Nov 03, 2011
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- UAE to adopt new strategy for island issues - Apr 22, 2012
- Muslim women MPs meet in Indonesia - Jan 29, 2012
- UAE minister meets UN chief - Sep 28, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- UAE, Britain hold joint aid workshop - Apr 08, 2011
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- UAE's RCA distributes sacrificial animals in Syria - Nov 07, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- UN relief chief visits Afghanistan - May 08, 2012
- UAE, US hold talks - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: continuous support, foreign ministers, gargash, global crises, humanitarian conditions, humanitarian role, insecurity, islamic body, islamic countries, islamic world, minister of state, ministerial council, needy countries, organisation of islamic conference, palestinian issue, palestinian national authority, peace in the middle east, peace initiative, solidarity fund, united arab emirates