UAE calls for global cooperation for Somali peopleMarch 11th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 11 (IANS/WAM) The UAE has called upon the international community to develop a comprehensive strategy and establish a clear political and development roadmap for the Somali people.
The UAE wants such a roadmap to be able to help the Somali people to overcome the present predicament and restore peace, security and stability throughout the territories of Somalia.
In a statement made before the UN Security Council, the Permanent Representative of the UAE to the UN, Ahmed Al-Jarman also said that such a strategy only can solve the Somalian suffering including internal political divisions, insecurity, continuing conflicts and unrest throughout the country and the displacement of more than two million Somalis so far.
UAE is closely following up the long suffering of the people of Somalia over the past two decades, he said while participating in a discussion on ‘The Comprehensive Strategy for the Realisation of Peace and Security in Somalia’.
“While we are strongly concerned about the continuation of this unfortunate situation in Somalia and its continuing threats at regional and international levels, we emphasise our strong support for all endeavours and joint efforts undertaken by the UN and the African Union to enable the Transitional Federal Government to continue its plan in the areas of reconciliation and fighting extremism within the framework of the Djibouti peace process.
“We also call on the Somali parties and their leaders in particular, to bear the primary responsibility for the restoration of peace and stability in their country,” Al-Jarman said.
- UAE committed to strengthen global counter-terrorism strategy - Jul 01, 2012
- UAE calls for greater efforts to tackle Somali piracy - Nov 13, 2010
- UAE, Jamaica establish diplomatic relations - Mar 05, 2011
- Somalia hails UAE's humanitarian efforts - Sep 16, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- UAE establishes diplomatic ties with Saint Kitts and Nevis - Jun 18, 2010
- UAE, Honduras discuss bilateral relations - Dec 11, 2011
- UAE establishes diplomatic ties with Marshall Islands - Jun 05, 2010
- UNSC calls for comprehensive peace strategy for Somalia - Mar 11, 2011
- UAE builds hospital in Somalia - Nov 09, 2011
- UAE hails Yemen's efforts for reforms - Mar 25, 2012
- UNSC asks Somali groups to join governance meet - Aug 16, 2011
- UAE pledges $1 mn for Palestine refugees - Dec 08, 2010
- UAE to launch campaign for Horn of Africa's drought-hit - Aug 17, 2011
- UAE commanders visit troops in Italy, Afghanistan - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,