Typhoon Kalmaegi hits China, leaves 13 killed in Taiwan (Lead)July 18th, 2008 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Fuzhou (China), July 18 (Xinhua) Tropical storm Kalmaegi hit China’s southeast coast Friday after causing severe devastation in Taiwan, leaving at least 13 dead and eight missing, officials said. The relatively weakened typhoon made landfall in Xiapu county in Fujian province Friday evening with winds of up to 90 km per hour, the provincial meteorological station said.
Before slamming into the Chinese coast, the storm claimed at least 13 lives in Taiwan after making landfall in the northeast coast of the island late Thursday.
Kalmaegi, the first typhoon to hit Taiwan this year, was relatively mild but caused flooding and crop damage in the island. It also forced the government to issue sear warnings around Taiwan.
Six people were injured and at least eight were still missing in the island and authorities said they were expecting the death toll to rise.
According to meteorological department in Fujian, 11 counties or cities in the province has received 50-100 mm precipitation till Friday evening.
Meanwhile, the provincial educational department issued an order to close all schools until the storm weakens completely. It was forecast to continue moving towards northwest.
Neighboring Zhejiang and Jiangxi provinces and Shanghai were also warning of rainstorms and strong gales brought by the storm.
Fujian and Zhejiang evacuated 360,000 people and called 61,000 fishing vessels back to harbour ahead of the storm’s landfall.
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Typhoon Morakot causes widespread destruction in China (Second lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- "Typhoon Morakot" devastates Eastern China, Taiwan coastline, one million relocated - Aug 10, 2009
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- China raises typhoon alert - Sep 19, 2010
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Hailstorms in China leave 29 dead, devastate homes - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,