Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in ChinaAugust 9th, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 9 (IANS) More than one million people in China have been affected by typhoon Haikui, authorities said Thursday.
The storm made landfall early Wednesday in the coastal province of Zhejiang, Xinhua reported. Three people died in Zhejiang and one in Anhui province.
Heavy rains lashed the region Thursday. Rains in parts of Anhui exceeded 100 mm, with Huangshan city, a tourist destination, receiving up to 390 mm, Met officials said.
Some 1.35 million people were affected and over 53,000 hectares of crops were destroyed.
About 156,000 people were evacuated.
Direct economic losses were estimated at 670 million yuan (about $100 million).
- Typhoon kills four, affects millions in China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Nine dead in China rains - Jul 06, 2012
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Floods wreak havoc in China (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Typhoon Kai-Tak affects one mn people in China - Aug 19, 2012
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011
- China braces for another typhoon - Sep 17, 2012
- Over 700 dead in China floods - Jul 23, 2010
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 - Sep 30, 2011