Typhoon Hagupit skirts Taiwan on way to ChinaSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
Taipei, Sep 23 (DPA) After leaving at least one dead and three people missing in the Philippines, Typhoon Hagupit skirted Taiwan Tuesday on its way to China.The Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan lifted the land warning for Hagupit early Tuesday as the storm was heading toward China’s Guangong coast - the area between Hong Kong and the Hainan Island.
By 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, the centre of Hagupit was 360 km southwest of Taiwan’s southern tip Erlunpi, and the typhoon circle, with a radius of 280 km, had already entered the South China Sea.
Moving at a speed of 27 km per hour in a southwesterly direction, Hagupit packs centre winds of 155 kph and gusts of 191 kph.
The typhoon circle is expected to reach China’s Guangdong coast later Tuesday, and the typhoon will land on the Guangdong coast late Wednesday.
Taiwan is affected by an average of two dozen typhoons a year.
Typhoon Sinlaku, which crossed Taiwan’s northern tip on Sep 14, caused landslides in Taiwan’s mountains, leaving at least 11 people dead and 11 missing.
- Taiwan issues sea, land warnings for Typhoon Hagupit - Sep 22, 2008
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- Typhoon Parma approaches Taiwan - Oct 04, 2009
- Shanghai closes major bridges as typhoon sweeps past - Aug 07, 2011
- Taiwan evacuates villages due to approaching Typhoon Parma - Oct 05, 2009
- Two dead as Typhoon Morakot slams into Taiwan - Aug 08, 2009
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Toll in Philippine typhoon reaches 65 - Jul 17, 2010
- Taiwan issues typhoon warning - Jul 27, 2008
- Typhoon leads to blockage in China rivers - Oct 01, 2010
- China issues disaster warning ahead of super typhoon Megi - Oct 19, 2010
- Over 500 tourists stranded in Taiwan due to typhoon 'Megi' - Oct 22, 2010