Typhoon Damrey slams ChinaAugust 3rd, 2012 - 3:15 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 3 (IANS) Typhoon Damrey packing winds of 126 kmph made landfall in China Thursday night, authorities said.
Damrey, the 10th typhoon to hit China this year, battered Jiangsu and Shandong provinces. The storm has brought rains to at least 20 counties, Xinhua reported.
Earlier Thursday, a red alert had been issued for typhoon Damrey. Over 100,000 people in Jiangsu were relocated as a precautionary measure.
The country’s eastern seaboard also braced for storm. Typhoon Saola was expected to make landfall between Thursday evening and Friday morning.
An alert for Saola had also been issued. The storm was expected to hit the Fujian and Zhejiang provinces.
Saola had made landfall in Taiwan early Thursday bringing heavy rains to the island.
About 100,000 people were relocated in Zhejiang and Fujian provinces. Some 10,000 vessels were also ordered to return to the harbour.
The red alert is the highest warning level in China’s four-tier weather warning system.
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in China - Aug 09, 2012
- Typhoon kills four, affects millions in China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Typhoon-triggered storms kill 14 in China - Aug 07, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated as Typhoon Megi approaches - Oct 22, 2010
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- China braces for Typhoon Muifa - Aug 07, 2011
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: authorities, china beijing, eastern seaboard, friday morning, fujian, heavy rains, jiangsu, kmph, landfall, precautionary measure, red alert, shandong, slams, thursday night, typhoon damrey, typhoon saola, warning system, weather warning, xinhua, zhejiang provinces