Typhoon affects over 450,000 people in ChinaJuly 30th, 2008 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Fuzhou (China), July 30 (Xinhua) More than 450,000 people have been affected in eastern China by typhoon Fung Wong, the eighth tropical storm to hit the country this year. The typhoon, which was downgraded to a tropical storm Tuesday, destroyed more than 100 houses and forced the evacuations of 390,000 people in Fujian province.
Some 70 enterprises had to suspend operations, disrupting production worth about $74 million.
The typhoon weakened into a tropical storm early Tuesday and was moving northwest towards Qianshan county in Jiangxi province, bringing heavy rain and winds.
The storm is expected to continue for three more days, with a total precipitation of 150 mm in northern areas of Jiangxi by Saturday, the provincial meteorological observatory predicted.
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in China - Aug 09, 2012
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- 70,000 evacuated in China following typhoon threat - Jul 28, 2008
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- 470,000 evacuated as typhoon Nesat lashes China - Oct 01, 2011
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- One killed, thousands flee as typhoon Morakot hits China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2009
- Typhoon kills four, affects millions in China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011