Two Yemeni fishermen killed in anti-piracy attack in Red SeaMay 28th, 2009 - 2:16 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), May 28 (DPA) Two Yemeni fishermen were killed and another was injured after their boat came under a missile strike in the Red Sea, the official Saba news agency reported Wednesday.
Saba said the missile is believed to have launched by an international anti-piracy navy ship.
The agency said the “the boat was totally destroyed”, in the attack that took place in the Sudanese territorial waters Tuesday.
It said the injured fisherman made it to Sudanese coast, while the fate of a fourth fisherman was still unknown.
The missile “probably came from sea by one of those warships conducting anti-piracy patrols in the region,” Saba said, quoting Yemeni Navy sources.
It said Yemeni and Sudanese authorities were coordinating to investigate the incident.
Yemeni official media have frequently reported attacks by international counter-piracy warship against Yemeni boats in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.
On Jan 14, a Yemeni fisherman was killed and two others were injured during an anti-piracy operation by a Russian navy ship near the southern Yemeni port city of Aden.
Yemeni authorities said the fishermen were caught in crossfire after a Russian frigate attacked Somali pirates attempting to hijack a Dutch vessel.
Piracy in the Gulf of Aden has surged in recent years as Somalia descends further into chaos and the ineffectual central government continues to squabble rather than govern.
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Iranian navy saves US vessel from pirates - May 24, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 21, 2012
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: anti piracy, central government, city of aden, fishermen, frigate, gulf of aden, missile strike, navy ship, navy sources, red sea, russian navy, saba, somali pirates, squabble, sudanese authorities, territorial waters, warship, warships, yemeni authorities, yemeni port city