Two US photojournalist killed in LibyaApril 21st, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 21 (ANI): Two American photojournalists were killed in Libya while covering battles between rebels and government forces.
Tim Hetherington, best known for co-directing the Oscar-nominated documentary on the Afghanistan war “Restrepo,” was killed in Libya while covering the conflict as a photojournalist for Panos Pictures.
Chris Hondros, a New York-based photographer for Getty Images, was also killed by a rocket-propelled grenade, CBS News reports.
Two other journalists- Guy Martin and Michael Christopher Brown , who has worked as a freelancer for several large publications were also wounded.
Hetherington, was killed a day after he tweeted: “In besieged Libyan city of Misrata. Indiscriminate shelling by Qaddafi forces. No sign of NATO.”
Misrata has been under siege for nearly two months, and human rights groups have warned the situation there is increasingly dire.
The photographers got to the heavily contested city by sea from Benghazi, the rebel capital. The group had allegedly been working together near the front lines when they were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade. (ANI)
- Photojournalist killed in Libya (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Oscar-nominated documentary director killed in Libya - Apr 21, 2011
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi consulate attack (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Libyan rebels stocking up on Soviet-era arms to deal with Gaddafi's militia - Mar 02, 2011
- Libyan military slows rebel advance on 'Gaddafi power base' Sirte - Mar 08, 2011
- Gaddafi brutalizes rebel forces near Tripoli, claims control of town - Mar 05, 2011
- Brand, Cooper, Beyonce invited to join Academy - Jun 19, 2011
- US' first unmanned Predator attack destroys Libyan govt. multiple rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2011
- Looted Libyan arms may land in hands of terrorists, warn experts - Mar 04, 2011
- Attacks on civilians in Misrata may be war crimes, says UN - Apr 21, 2011
- Ryan Phillippe shocked by photographers' death in Libya - Apr 25, 2011
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Gaddafi forces firing cluster bombs into residential neighborhoods in Misrata - Apr 16, 2011
- Libyan army may allow tribes to fight rebels in Misrata - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,