Two US Navy vessels collide in Strait of Hormuz (Lead)March 20th, 2009 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 20 (Xinhua) A US Navy submarine and a US amphibious vessel Friday collided in the Strait of Hormuz, injuring 15 sailors, officials said.
The collision between the USS Hartford and the USS New Orleans occurred around 1.00 a.m. Friday, the US Navy Fifth Fleet said in a statement on its website.
Fifteen sailors aboard the Hartford were slightly injured and returned to duty. No personnel aboard the New Orleans were injured, it said.
New Orleans suffered a ruptured fuel tank, which resulted in an oil spill of about 25,000 gallons of diesel.
The vessels are under the US Navy Central Command which is responsible for conducting maritime security operations.
Currently, the overall damage to both ships is being assessed, the navy said.
The Strait of Hormuz is an important waterway between the Gulf of Oman in the southeast and the Persian Gulf in the southwest.
- Two US Navy ships collide in Strait of Hormuz - Mar 20, 2009
- US warship, Japanese oil tanker collide in Gulf - Aug 12, 2012
- US nuke submarine damaged in collision near Iran - Mar 21, 2009
- Submarine rams into ship as navigator listens to iPod - Apr 11, 2010
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran seeks regional cooperation for Persian Gulf's security - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- U.S. sailor goes missing in the Gulf of Oman - Jan 19, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: cairo, central command, diesel, fifth fleet, fuel tank, gulf of oman, maritime security, navy vessels, new orleans, oil spill, persian gulf, sailors, security operations, ships, southwest, strait of hormuz, us navy submarine, uss hartford, waterway, xinhua