Two soldiers, 16 militants killed in Pakistan clashes (Lead)May 2nd, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 2 (DPA) Two soldiers and 16 Taliban militants were killed when paramilitary troops repulsed an attack on their checkpoint in Pakistan’s restive northwestern tribal district of Mohmand, officials said Saturday.
“Around 100 militants attacked a security forces check post in Spinal Tangi last night (Friday),” said a press statement from the Pakistan Army.
“Sixteen militants were killed in retaliatory fire. Two security forces personnel embraced martyrdom,” it said.
“Altogether five soldiers were injured in the fighting and military helicopters evacuated them to hospital where two of them succumbed to their injuries,” Major Farooq Ahmad of the paramilitary Mohmand Rifles said.
Mohmand is one of the seven tribal districts believed to be safe havens for Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters.
Pakistani security forces have fought rebels in Mohmand for several weeks, killing dozens of insurgents.
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- Five soldiers, 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 26, 2010
- 18 militants, two soldiers killed in Pakistan (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 20, 2010
- Pakistan protests cross-border attack - Jun 25, 2012
- 24 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 24, 2010
- Troops kill 30 militants in Pakistan - Mar 05, 2010
- Mischievous elements from Afghanistan tasked to create anarchy in Pak: KP Governor - Dec 25, 2010
- Pakistani forces repel Taliban attack, 30 insurgents killed - Mar 04, 2010
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Pak security forces detain 39 suspected militants following clash in Mohmand - Jan 04, 2011
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- Pakistani troops kill 38 militants in northwest (Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- One soldier, 19 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- 7 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: ahmad, al qaeda, checkpoint, clashes, dozens, insurgents, martyrdom, militants, military helicopters, pakistan army, paramilitary troops, rebels, retaliatory fire, rifles, safe havens, security forces, taliban, tribal districts, two soldiers