Two sentenced to death for role in China milk scandalJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
Shijizhuang (China), Jan.22 (ANI): Two men were sentenced to death Thursday by a local court for their role in last years China tainted milk scandal.
Zhang Yujun, who produced and sold melamine-laced “protein powder” in the China tainted milk scandal, was convicted of endangering public security and given capital punishment by the Shijiazhuang Intermediate People’’s Court, while Geng Jinping was convicted of producing and selling toxic food.
According to Xinhua, the court had announced it would sentence 21 defendants implicated in the scandal Thursday afternoon. However, it said shortly before the court opened that nine of them would be sentenced at other courts.
Among the 12 people who were convicted Thursday afternoon, two were given death penalty, one with suspended death, three jailed for life and the other six jailed between five years and 15 years.
The Ministry of Health said it was likely the tainted milk scandal with Sanlu Group at its center killed at least six babies. Another 296,000 infants suffered kidney stones and other urinary problems. (ANI)
- Two get death sentence in China milk scandal (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- Two executed in China for contaminating milk - Nov 24, 2009
- Man sentenced to death in China milk scandal - Jan 22, 2009
- Melamine-tainted milk: China begins trial of dairy firm officials - Dec 31, 2008
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Six stand trial in China's milk powder scandal - Dec 26, 2008
- China dairy association claims 90% of tainted milk victims compensated - Jan 24, 2009
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- Four arraigned in China's baby food scandal - Dec 29, 2008
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- Action against 113 in China's tainted pork scandal - Nov 26, 2011
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: babies, capital punishment, china, death penalty, geng, kidney stones, local court, ministry of health, protein powder, public security, scandal, tainted milk, thursday afternoon, toxic food, two men, urinary problems, xinhua