Two schoolgirls killed in Italy bombing (Lead)May 19th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 19 (IANS) Two 16-year-old schoolgirls were killed and several others injured Saturday in a remote-controlled bomb blast outside a vocational training school in southern Italy, media reports said.
The bombing took place around 8 a.m. in Brindisi in Puglia region, as the students were entering the school building, Xinhua reported citing Rai television. At least seven students were injured.
Fabiano Amati, a regional minister, said the scene after the blast was “dramatic”.
“There were school back-packs and notebooks everywhere. Many windows of the nearby buildings were broken,” he told CNN.
Police found three gas cylinders at the site that were detonated with a remote control.
The devices were concealed behind a trash can, around 50 metres from the school entrance.
City Mayor Mimmo Consales told CNN one of the girls died during surgery from the wounds she sustained in the blast.
It was not clear why the school was targeted or who carried out the attack.
Puglia governor Nichi Vendola said it could be “either a mafia or a political terrorism attack”.
The Francesca Morvillo Falcone school is named after the wife of prominent anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone, who was killed in a bomb attack in 1992.
The government recently announced a plan to increase counter-terrorism intelligence, saying 14,000 sites in the country were currently considered potential targets.
- Schoolgirl killed in Italy bombing - May 19, 2012
- Italian president warns of wave of violence - May 24, 2012
- Gay Italian politician to run for PM in 2013 - Aug 02, 2012
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012
- Five killed, 15 injured in Pakistan blast - Feb 27, 2012
- 10 killed, 40 hurt in Pakistan car bombing (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- One dead in Pakistan blast - Feb 15, 2012
- Three killed, 25 injured in Karachi blast - Aug 17, 2012
- One hurt in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- 5 killed in Peshawar bomb blast (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- 10 die in Pakistan bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Boy dies in Pakistan blast - Mar 07, 2012
- Five dead, 24 injured in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight killed in Pakistan blast (Second Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Seven killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: bomb attack, bomb blast, brindisi, city mayor, cnn, counter terrorism, francesca morvillo, gas cylinders, giovanni falcone, mimmo, nearby buildings, nichi vendola, one of the girls, political terrorism, regional minister, school back packs, school entrance, southern italy, vocational training, xinhua