Two plead guilty to attack on Sikh taxi driver in USMarch 9th, 2011 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 9 (IANS) Two men accused of attacking a Sikh taxi driver in November have entered no-contest pleas in a California court, with one man admitting that his attack was a hate crime.
Pedro Ramirez, 42, of Natomas, pleaded to a felony assault charge in Yolo County Superior Court Monday and admitted that his attack on cab driver Harbhajan Singh in West Sacramento was a hate crime. He also admitted that he caused great bodily injury to the victim.
Johnny Morales Jr., 33, of West Sacramento, who had a lesser role in the attack, pleaded to felony assault, according to a Yolo County District Attorney’s Office news release.
As part of the plea agreement, Ramirez agreed to a 13-year prison sentence, and Morales will be placed on felony probation and will be sentenced to up to one year in county jail.
According to prosecution, Harbhajan Singh, wearing a traditional Sikh turban, was driving Ramirez, Morales and their wives home Nov 28 from Harlow’s Bar in Sacramento.
During the cab drive, Ramirez shouted racial epithets and accused Singh of being Muslim, officials said. Ramirez punched Singh in the face approximately 10 times, while Morales punched him from behind.
Singh suffered multiple cuts, a fracture to the orbital bone in his face and a spinal fracture. Ramirez also attempted to pull Singh from the taxi but was prevented by the cab driver’s seatbelt.
Ramirez’s wife stopped the beating by throwing her body between Singh and her husband. Morales and Ramirez then pulled Ramirez’s wife from vehicle, allowing Singh to escape in his cab.
Yolo County Superior Court Judge Timothy Fall, who took Ramirez and Morales’ pleas, is scheduled to sentence the men April 1.
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian taxi drivers scared to drive in Australia - Jun 19, 2012
- Sikh cabbie in Australia avoids jail sentence over sex assault charges - Jul 13, 2010
- Lindsay turns down plea deal in necklace theft - Mar 24, 2011
- Another Indian taxi driver assaulted in Melbourne - Jan 20, 2010
- Australian gets jail term for attacking Indian taxi driver - May 24, 2010
- Attack on Indian not racially motivated: Australian court - Nov 05, 2010
- Teen mom Amber Portwood pleads guilty - Jun 10, 2011
- US Muslim group offers reward in shooting of two Sikhs - Mar 07, 2011
- Taxi driver attacked in Australia, India seeks report (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Charlie Sheen likely to plead guilty to assaulting wife - May 29, 2010
- Michael Enright Held Without Bail For Slashing Muslim Cab Driver - Aug 26, 2010
- Man sentenced in Cowbell assault case - May 05, 2011
- Phoenix man sentenced to prison for murdering a taxi cab driver - Feb 18, 2010
Tags: assault charge, bodily injury, cab driver, california court, county district attorney, county superior court, felony assault, hate crime, orbital bone, pedro ramirez, plea agreement, prison sentence, racial epithets, sikh turban, spinal fracture, superior court judge, taxi driver, west sacramento, yolo county district attorney, yolo county superior court