Two pirates, one hostage killed in French rescue moveApril 11th, 2009 - 1:27 am ICT by IANS
Paris, April 10 (DPA) French naval forces overwhelmed pirates who had seized a private yacht in the Indian Ocean a week ago, but at the cost of the life of one of the hostages and two pirates, the government said Friday.
The presidential office said the three other pirates involved in the capture of the yacht Tanis on April 4 had been captured.
President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed his condolences to the family of the hostage who had died. He stressed France’s determination not to give in to blackmail and to keep the pirates in check.
The pirates had seized the Tanit off the coast of the Gulf of Aden. Two French couples and a child were on board the yacht.
According to the presidential office, the hostage who was killed in the rescue operation was one of the adults.
A French naval vessel had intercepted the Tanit Thursday and taken up contact with the pirates. But the pirates rejected all the proposals made, with the navy then deciding to take action, Paris said.
The couples had been vacationing aboard the Tanit and, despite repeated warnings to stay clear of the waters off Somalia were sailing toward Zanzibar when the pirates captured them.
- Danish ship taken hostage by Somali pirates - Mar 01, 2011
- French couple, kid kidnapped by pirates: Report - Apr 07, 2009
- EU NAVFOR disrupts Somali pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- 12 hostages rescued from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- NATO warship seizes 'pirate mother ship' off Somalia - Feb 13, 2011
- Pirates hijack boat with four Americans on board - Feb 19, 2011
- Somali pirates attack second US vessel - Apr 15, 2009
- Somalian pirates threaten to kill captive Danish family - Mar 02, 2011
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Virginia court convicted Somali pirates accused of killing four Americans - Mar 11, 2011
- Somali pirates rushing to help comrades in face-off with US Navy - Apr 11, 2009
- Somali pirates fail to reinforce embattled comrades (Lead) - Apr 12, 2009
- British couple with Somali pirates fears death 'in days' - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: adults, april 4, condolences, couples, dpa, gulf of aden, hostage, hostages, indian ocean, naval vessel, navy, nicolas sarkozy, paris, pirates, president nicolas sarkozy, private yacht, proposals, somalia, tanis, tanit