Two out of three new jobs taken by foreigners in Britain last yearJanuary 19th, 2011 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 19 (ANI): Foreigners are taking away two out of three new jobs in Britain, with statistics showing that only 100,000 of 297,000 workers who began new posts between July and September 2010 were native Britons.
The Daily Mail quoted figures from the Office for National Statistics as saying that of the rest, 90,000 jobs in the country were credited to people belong to Poland and other Eastern European countries that joined the European Union in 2004, and the rest belonged to other parts of the world.
The analysis, published in the ONS journal Economic and Labour Market Review, also showed that while a million jobs have become available in Britain over the past six years, there are now a third of a million fewer British-born people in work, the paper said.
It further claimed that the number of British-born people in jobs has gone down by 334,000 since the beginning of 2004, while nearly 1.3million foreign-born individuals have found work in the UK. Of these, 530,000 were from Eastern Europe and 770,000 from elsewhere in the world.
Sir Andrew Green, of the think-tank MigrationWatch, said that these latest figures can only de described as “spectacular”.
“There are no fixed numbers of jobs in an economy but it is very hard to escape the conclusion that foreign-born workers are taking jobs that might be done by British workers,” he added. (ANI)
- 8 out of 10 employed in UK are born overseas - Aug 12, 2010
- Migrant workers take majority of jobs in parts of London - Jun 30, 2010
- Foreign-born workers get three-quarters of British jobs - Aug 12, 2010
- Foreigners grab 12,000 jobs monthly in Britain - Nov 17, 2011
- Most London babies have foreigner as parent - Feb 22, 2012
- One in seven jobs in Britain filled by foreign-born workers - Feb 18, 2009
- 2 Brit-Indians placed among 'migrants living in Britain doubles to 6.9m in 30 yrs' list - Dec 10, 2010
- One in ten persons living in Britain is foreign born: Report - Dec 09, 2009
- Study says immigrants have lapped up every new job in UK since 2001 - Dec 16, 2008
- Native-born Americans lost jobs, but Asians, Indians did not - Oct 30, 2010
- White Britons will be a minority by 2066 if immigration continues in UK - Nov 18, 2010
- Britain is Europe's top destination for migrant settlers - Jul 13, 2011
- European Union set to open doors to Indian migrants - Oct 26, 2010
- 25 percent British babies born to Indians, Pakistanis - Jul 22, 2010
- 370,000 migrants in Britain claim out-of-work benefits - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: andrew green, britons, conclusion, daily mail, eastern europe, eastern european countries, economy, european union, foreigners in britain, jan 19, jobs in britain, labour market, london jan, migrationwatch, national statistics, new jobs, poland, sir andrew, six years, tank