Two militants killed in RussiaOctober 23rd, 2010 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Two militants were killed in a shootout in Russia’s volatile southern republic of Dagestan Saturday, police said.
“The incident occurred in the Kizilyurtovsk region of Dagestan. Police were searching for militants who earlier shot at a police officer and his brother,” the police said.
Terrorist attacks and shootouts with police are common in Russia’s troubled North Caucasus republics, especially in Dagestan and neighbouring Chechnya and Ingushetia.
Russia’s National Anti-terrorism Committee reported in early October that 301 militants were killed and 468 more arrested in the North Caucasus region since the beginning of the year.
The Kremlin has claimed to have brought stability to the region, but an audacious militant attack on the Chechen parliament in Grozny Tuesday prompted fears that the Islamist underground has been rejuvenated.
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Blast rocks Russia's North Caucasus - Nov 26, 2010
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Four militants killed in Chechnya operation - Sep 21, 2012
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Russia needs university to teach about Islam: official - Dec 07, 2010
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Six policemen killed in Russia attack - Sep 06, 2012
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Gunmen attack investigators' car in Russia - May 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,