Two men chop off friend’s hand to claim insuranceFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:09 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 25 (IANS) Two men in the US allegedly chopped off a third man’s hand with a pole saw so that the three of them could file for an insurance claim.
The men from South Carolina state received a payout of over $671,000 (426,275 pounds) from a homeowner’s insurance policy and three accidental death and dismemberment policies, the Daily Mail reported.
Gerald Hardin, 34, faces six charges, including mail fraud for the 2008 incident in Florida’s Sumter County, WMBFnews reported.
According to police reports, Hardin and another person used a saw to intentionally cut off the hand of a third person in the insurance fraud scam.
Hardin faces up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines if he is convicted. The other man who helped or the person whose hand was severed could not be identified as yet.
Hardin has been currently remanded in prison on a $100,000 bond.
The case was investigated by agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Madonna's charity Success for Kids investigated over misuse of funds - Apr 05, 2011
- Mom pretended to be dead son to collect insurance money - Jun 06, 2012
- 3,400 fake disabled, poor found in Italy - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian American jewellers found guilty of movie-style robbery - Mar 05, 2011
- Taiwan man chops off hand to collect insurance - Nov 28, 2009
- Stepfather held in China for drowning kid - Feb 04, 2012
- Human remains found in packages mailed to Canada schools - Jun 06, 2012
- Two held for cheating, impersonation - Jul 01, 2012
- Get Entire Mandarin Oriental Tokyo Hotel For $671,000 A Night - Oct 15, 2010
- Orange County, CA resident sentenced to over 10 years for his part in $61 million Ponzi scheme - May 14, 2010
- Liars tell well-planned stories - Sep 30, 2010
- Profitability big challenge for Indian insurers: Report - Apr 11, 2011
- Indian Americans in news for wrong reasons (Lead) - Dec 12, 2009
- Party at Mandarin Oriental Tokyo Hotel for $671,000 a Night! - Oct 15, 2010
- Leniency sought for Indian-American insider trading witness - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: accidental death and dismemberment, daily mail, death and dismemberment, faces, fbi, federal bureau of investigation, insurance, insurance claim, insurance fraud, insurance policy, investigation fbi, london feb, mail fraud, police reports, south carolina state, sumter county, third man, third person, two men