Two men charged for Andhra student’s murder in USDecember 28th, 2010 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 28 (IANS) The US authorities have booked two men for gunning down a 22-year-old Indian student in a robbery on Christmas morning at a convenience store in Texas where he was working part time.Daniel Jacob Stiner, 22, and Michael Ray Morris, 29, both from Pasadena, Texas, were charged Monday in the fatal shooting of Jayachandra Elaprolu inside the convenience store in the town, the Houston Chronicle reported.
Elaprolu, from Vijayawada city of Andhra Pradesh, was pursuing Master’s in computer engineering at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. He was shot five times Saturday.
Police said Stiner surrendered and took investigators to the Conroe area, where he said he would recover the mask he used in the violent “blitz” robbery, executed in 20 seconds. He also promised to get the $400 he stole from the store till.
The other accused, Morris, said he was a customer in the store when the crime was committed, police said. He complained to police and a local TV channel that he was wrongly implicated in the shooting, much of which was captured on surveillance video.
But police believe Morris acted as a scout who twice went inside the store to scope out the scene, Bud Corbett, assistant police chief in Pasadena, was quoted as saying.
Officials said Morris, who police said is a friend of Stiner’s, went into the store the first time and made a purchase. He returned, obtained change from Elaprolu, and exited again.
Police said Stiner, wearing a mask and carrying a semi-automatic pistol, then entered the store and immediately opened fire, striking Elaprolu at least five times as he tried to retreat to a back room. Stiner fled, carrying the lightweight cash till, police said.
Elaprolu was wounded in the stomach, liver, upper torso, intestine and heart. He died on the spot.
- Two men charged with Indian student's murder in US (Lead) - Dec 28, 2010
- Indian student shot dead in US (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Indian student killed in US (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Andhra student shot dead in US - Dec 26, 2010
- Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casino - Sep 17, 2011
- Robbers held after they bragged on Facebook - Apr 25, 2011
- Thermal, California woman gets off with $6 during armed robbery - Mar 10, 2010
- Allen Stanford Shackled Before Taken To Hospital After Being Beaten Up By Fellow Inmates - Nov 08, 2010
- Brit-Indian shopkeeper's murder watched by teenage daughter on CCTV - Nov 29, 2010
- Lawmaker shot dead in Somalia - Nov 10, 2011
- FBI: 'Granddad Bandit' captured in Baton Rogue - Aug 12, 2010
- Video of Houston Police Beating Black Teen Boy Released - Feb 04, 2011
- Indian shot dead in US - Feb 24, 2012
- Six poachers arrested from Jim Corbett National Park in Rampur - Feb 16, 2011
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: christmas morning, computer engineering, conroe area, convenience store, corbett, daniel jacob, houston chronicle, houston clear lake, intestine, local tv, michael ray, pasadena texas, police chief, ray morris, semi automatic pistol, stiner, tv channel, university of houston, university of houston clear lake, upper torso