Two LTTE leaders surrenderApril 22nd, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 22 (IANS) Two second rung leaders of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) have surrendered to the Sri Lankan military, a military spokesman said Wednesday.
The two were identified as LTTE media coordinator Velayutham Dayanithi alias Thaya Master and George, who was English translator to former LTTE political wing head S. Thamilselvan.
Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara told IANS that the surrender took place at Puthumathalan in Mullaitivu district as the army made rapid advances into the last of the LTTE bases.
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, 95,000 flee war zone (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 95,000 flee war zone (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- LTTE chief in shrunken war zone as 95,000 civilians flee (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, over 100,000 flee war zone (Intro Roundup) - Apr 22, 2009
- 96 LTTE rebels killed in Sri Lanka: military - Apr 04, 2009
- Rajapaksa asks LTTE to free civilians, surrender before late - Apr 06, 2009
- Prabhakaran's father to be cremated Sunday - Jan 09, 2010
- LTTE planes bomb Colombo (Third Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Sri Lanka dismisses video of troops committing atrocities - Aug 26, 2009
- Rajapaksa visits former LTTE hub Kilinochchi (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Thousands more flee Sri Lanka war zone, no trace of LTTE chief (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2009
- 52,000 flee rebel-held area as LTTE ignores surrender deadline (Fourth Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Tamil Tigers won't be allowed to regroup: Army - Jun 28, 2009
- 420 Tigers killed, troops seize key Sri Lankan area (Lead) - Apr 05, 2009
- 96 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka: Military (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
Tags: alias, army, brigadier, english translator, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte leaders, media coordinator, military spokesman, nanayakkara, rapid advances, sri lankan military, surrender, udaya