Two killed in Lahore railway station blast (Lead)April 24th, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 24 (IANS) At least two people, including a railway police officer, were killed and 27 others injured Tuesday in a powerful blast that ripped through the Lahore railway station, media reports said.
The blast occurred on platform No.2 where people had queued up in large numbers to buy tickets, Geo News reported.
“A porter and a police officer were killed in the blast. Five to six kg of explosive material was used for the blast,” a police officer told Dawn.
TV images showed broken glass of windows and doors of offices littered across the platform. A false ceiling of an office also collapsed.
The blast left a 5-6 foot crater on the platform, Geo News said.
Police cordoned off the blast site and emergency services personnel reached the spot. The injured were taken to Mayo and Ganga Ram Hospital.
Witnesses told Xinhua the blast that took place around 6.40 p.m.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast.
- Two killed in Lahore station blast (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Eight die in Karachi suicide bombing - Sep 19, 2011
- 15 killed in suicide blasts targeting Shiites in Lahore, Karachi (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- 13 killed in suicide blast in Lahore Shiite procession (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Three die in blast near UN office in Peshawar (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Bomb found in Pakistan train - Apr 25, 2012
- Two die as Peshawar bombing targets US consulate vehicle (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- At least 16 killed in Pakistan blast - Apr 22, 2011
- Four shot dead in Pakistan - Mar 25, 2012
- 10 killed, 40 hurt in Pakistan car bombing (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Five killed in Pakistan bakery blast - Jun 06, 2011
- Four hurt in Peshawar blast - Jul 01, 2011
- Three killed, dozens injured in Lahore shrine blast - Feb 04, 2011
- Six die in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Two dead, 14 hurt in Peshawar blast - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: april 24, cordoned, dawn, emergency services, explosive material, ganga ram hospital, geo news, kg, large numbers, police officer, railway police, railway station, tv images, windows and doors, xinhua