Two killed in German court shooting (Lead)April 7th, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Landshut (Germany), April 7 (DPA) A man opened fire in a German court building Tuesday, killing a woman and wounding at least four people before turning his gun on himself, police said.
A police spokesman said the gunman, aged 60, fired shots in different rooms of the district court in Landshut, 70 km north-east of the Bavarian capital Munich.
Witnesses said the man was in the spectator’s gallery in one of the courtrooms when he suddenly stood up and began shooting at around 10.15 a.m. (0815 GMT).
Police were unable to confirm media reports the incident occurred while the court was hearing a civil case about an inheritance dispute, involving the man’s sister.
Police originally said two people died, then corrected the figure to one before saying later there were two fatalities.
The courthouse was evacuated after the shooting and the area around the building sealed off.
The shooting happened less than a month after a teenager went on the rampage in and around his former school in Winnenden, south-west Germany, killing 15 people.
- Two dead in German court shooting - Apr 07, 2009
- German prosecutor shot dead by defendant - Jan 12, 2012
- Defendant kills witness in German courtroom - Jul 01, 2009
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Gunman kills one, takes another hostage in German town - Jul 05, 2012
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- Five dead in German hostage crisis (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Gunman kills five in New York, shot dead (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Gunman held in Finland shooting incident - May 26, 2012
- Five killed, one hurt in US shooting spree - Jun 03, 2011
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Gunman injures four in Detroit police precinct - Jan 24, 2011
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Defendant shoots German prosecutor dead in court - Jan 12, 2012