Two killed as UN helicopter crashes in SudanSeptember 30th, 2008 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Khartoum, Sep 29 (DPA) A helicopter contracted by the joint African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) has crashed, killing at least two of its four occupants, the UN said Monday.UNAMID spokesman Kemal Saiki said that the helicopter, which was delivering rations to UNAMID bases, had come down near the Kalma refugee camp in Sudan’s restive western province.
Two of the occupants were confirmed dead, while the other two were presumed to be trapped inside the wreckage.
There was no information on the nationality of the four.
Saiki said that the UN was also looking into unconfirmed reports that the helicopter was shot at.
The Kalma camp for internally displaced people is a flashpoint in the province.
Over 30 people died last month when Sudanese security forces raided the camp in what it said was a search for illegal weapons and rebels believed to be sheltering there.
The UN says up to 300,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million displaced by five years of conflict.
- Russians kidnapped in Darfur as American released: UN - Aug 31, 2010
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- UN peacekeeping force in Darfur denies hijacking of Russian helicopter - Jul 28, 2010
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- One thousand ex-combatants to lay down arms in West Darfur - Apr 18, 2011
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- Three UN peacekeepers killed in Darfur - Dec 06, 2009
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- CARE International worker killed in South Darfur - Jan 09, 2011
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- Sudan hangs nine men for beheading journalist - Apr 14, 2009
- Dozens killed in Sudan refugee camp - Aug 26, 2008