Two killed as heavy snows paralyse life in Britain (Lead)February 2nd, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 2 (IANS) Two climbers were killed in Welsh mountains as the heaviest snowfall in 18 years blanketed much of Britain Monday, bringing life to a grinding halt.Police said they found the bodies of two climbers on Mount Snowdon in Wales after being alerted overnight.
A foot of snow fell on parts of southern and eastern England, the worst-hit regions. All bus services and much of the underground rail network were suspended in the British capital.
Two of the main airports serving London - Stanstead and London City - were shut down as was a runway at Heathrow amid warnings of further blizzards and snow.
Across the country train services worked only sporadically while offices, schools and colleges in and around the capital were shut for the day, with warnings of longer closures.
Some of the country’s main highways were described as resembling ice rinks and authorities shut down parts of the M25 - the key ring around London - to clear it of snow and stranded vehicles.
Passengers travelling to and from Heathrow airport were warned of “significant delays and cancellations”.
- Heavy snows paralyse life in Britain - Feb 02, 2009
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- Heathrow Airport Cancels Fliights As Heavy Snowfall Throwns U.K. Out Of Gear - Dec 19, 2010
- Heathrow Airport Might Resume Flight Operations On Limited Basis - Dec 20, 2010
- Washington shuts down in anticipation of 'snowpocalypse' - Feb 07, 2010
- Snow brings Britain to standstill - Feb 03, 2009
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Airlines warn against travel to snowed-in Britain - Dec 20, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Winter storm pounds US East Coast, grinds Washington to halt - Dec 20, 2009
- Big freeze: Christmas travel plans in chaos - Dec 18, 2010
- London flights cancelled due to snow - Dec 19, 2010
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: blizzards, bus services, climbers, delays and cancellations, eastern england, feb 2, foot of snow, grinding halt, heathrow airport, key ring, london city, london feb, london stanstead, m25, mount snowdon, snowdon, snowfall, train services, underground rail network, welsh mountains