Two jailed for 7 years in human bomb caseOctober 23rd, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 23 (IANS) A court here Thursday sentenced two men accused in a human bomb case to seven years rigorous imprisonment and also fined them Rs.7,000. The accused were convicted under sections 4 and 5 of the Explosives Act, the police said.
Kanwaljit Singh, 37, and Paramjit Singh, 35, were arrested July 14, 2005 from Chandigarh and a huge quantity of explosives was found in their autorickshaws, the police said.
“Many VIPs were on their target,” said a senior police official here Thursday.
Both the accused were produced in the court of additional district session judge, Ravi Kumar Sondhi Thursday.
“They are suspected to be a part of the Babbar Khalsa international terrorist organization and are believed to have close links with Jagtar Singh Hawara, who is facing the death sentence in former chief minister Beant Singh’s assassination case,” said the official.
Beant Singh was assassinated Aug 31, 1995.
The accused have been sent to Burail jail.
The defence counsel said: “we are not satisfied with the court’s trial and will file a fresh petition against this decision in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.”
- Burail jail-break: Court declares conspirator 'absconder' - Apr 02, 2011
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Tihar Jail to lodge terrorist Hawara - Oct 25, 2010
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- Khalistan terrorist gets life term for Beant Singh killing - Mar 30, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa terrorist convicted for Beant Singh's assassination - Mar 29, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Patiala jailor again refuses to accept Rajoana's death warrant (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- BKI terrorist Jagtar Hawara's death sentence commuted to life - Oct 12, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa terrorist gets 10 years' jail - Mar 23, 2010
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- Rajoana to hang Saturday, rules court (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010