Two Israeli pilots detained in Eritrea releasedAugust 24th, 2011 - 3:08 am ICT by BNO News
JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) — Two Israeli pilots detained in Eritrea for a month on suspicion of arms smuggling returned to Israel on Tuesday, local daily Haaretz newspaper reported.
Yehuda Maoz and Vered Aharonson, who worked for an Israeli company called Gesher Aviri, flew to Eritrea to deliver spare parts and were arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle in spare parts of weapons, according to Foreign Ministry sources. The two pilots were held in a hotel in the capital Asmara for a month, while Eritrean security forces did not allow the Israeli ambassador to visit them.
Israel’s Foreign Ministry suspected that the extended period of detention would lead to an indictment, and that the pilots would be jailed in Eritrea, according to the newspaper.
Heavy diplomatic pressure on Ertirea by Israel’s ambassador in recent weeks facilitated the release of the pilots. Israel told Eritrean authorities that the pilots had been negligent in filling out customs forms, but that they had not intended to smuggle weapons parts into the country.
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Israeli reporter accused of leaking army documents - May 31, 2012
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- Attack foiled at Israeli embassy in Georgia - Feb 13, 2012
- U.S. State Department issues Travel Warning for Eritrea - Mar 03, 2010
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Israel trying to thwart UN fact-finding mission on settlements - Mar 19, 2012
- Israel to buy dozens of Italian jets - Feb 17, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israel slams South Africa over Palestinian territory label - Aug 24, 2012
- Israel bombs tunnel in Gaza Strip - Aug 10, 2009
- Israeli drone sensor pinpoint terror sites - Jun 18, 2012
- Israel keen on helping Goa meet its dairy deficit - Aug 25, 2012
- Israel's new ambassador presents his credentials - Aug 12, 2011
- Clinton's remarks on Israeli democracy spark lawmakers' ire - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: asmara, bno, customs, diplomatic pressure, eritrea, eritrean authorities, ertirea, foreign ministry, haaretz newspaper, indictment, israeli ambassador, israeli company, jerusalem, maoz, ministry sources, security forces, spare parts, suspicion, vered, yehuda