Two Iranians sentenced to death over boozeJune 26th, 2012 - 11:29 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in the Iranian province of Khorasan has sentenced two local men to death after they were caught drinking alcohol for the third time, according to Eurasiareview.com.
The men’s names were not released. It remained unclear whether they could still appeal the sentence, which a local judge said was “in process,” said the report citing Iran’s local ISNA news agency.
Alcohol consumption is banned in Iran in line with Islamic law, but is nevertheless reported to be on the rise due to a thriving black market, the report said.
Punishment for first- and second-time drinkers in Iran could include flogging, while being caught inebriated for the third time could result in capital punishment.
However, actual executions of drinkers in Iran are exceedingly rare. In 2008, a man was sentenced to death having been caught under the weather for the fourth time and making a ruckus, but was later acquitted.
- French Open final postponed to Monday - Jun 11, 2012
- European Union urges Belarus to ban death penalty - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian woman sentenced to death in China - Nov 27, 2011
- Russians held in Dubai for $500,000 theft - Mar 20, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Kazakhstan's Sapiyev wins welterweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Release bombers' bodies: Amnesty urges Belarus - Mar 21, 2012
- Russian teen survives fall from 9th floor - Oct 30, 2011
- Turks charged with causing alcohol deaths - Feb 07, 2012
- Woman in Russia jailed for selling newborn son - Jun 03, 2011
- Olympics: Britain's Rutherford leaps to long jump gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Man jailed for killing flasher in Russia - Jan 26, 2012
- Syrians held in Russia for poaching rare birds - Aug 09, 2012
- Belarus executes bomber - Mar 17, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,