Two injured in Assam blast, two militants killed in shootoutMarch 15th, 2008 - 11:30 pm ICT by admin
Guwahati, March 15 (IANS) Two militants were killed in a shootout with security forces Saturday, while two civilians were injured in a powerful explosion in Assam, officials said. A police spokesman said a blast took place at a market in Abhyapuri town in western Bongaigaon district, about 220 km from Assam’s main city of Guwahati.
“The explosion took place near a tea stall injuring two pedestrians. The bomb was probably strapped to a parked bicycle,” a police official said.
In another incident, security forces shot dead two militants of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) in North Lakhimpur district.
“Acting on specific information, security forces went to the area to nab the militants when an encounter took place in which two ULFA militants were killed,” the official said.
Assam has witnessed a series of explosions with the police blaming the ULFA for staging at least a dozen blasts during the past two weeks. Three people were killed and over 50 injured in the serial blasts.
The ULFA is observing Sunday as the outfit’s army day and hence is believed to be stepping up violence to make its presence felt, police officials said.
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Five injured in Assam blast - Sep 06, 2012
- 12 injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA militants killed in Assam - Aug 06, 2012
- Two ULFA militants killed in Assam - Aug 17, 2010
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Sonia to go ahead with Assam visit despite bomb blast - May 26, 2012
- Guwahati blast: 50 detained, ULFA claims responsibility - Sep 09, 2012
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- 100 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Third Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Two ULFA militants killed in Assam - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: army, assam, bicycle, bomb, civilians, encounter, explosion, information security, pedestrians, police official, police officials, police spokesman, presence, security forces, serial blasts, series of explosions, tea stall, ulfa militants, united liberation front, violence