Two Indians gunned down in PhilippinesNovember 16th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Davao City (Philippines), Nov 16 (IANS) Two Indian moneylenders were fatally shot in southern Philippines as they were about to leave a trading firm, police said.
Manjeet Singh, 27, and Sukhinder Singh, 26, who were residents of Compostela Valley province, died from gunshot wounds after being attacked at Poblacion village in Agusan del Sur province Tuesday, said Superintendent Martin Gamba, spokesperson of the Caraga regional police office.
The victims were about to leave the premises of a rice trading firm when the assailant fired at them several times with a handgun, Xinhua reported.
The suspect fled on a motorcycle driven by an accomplice.
The Indians were taken to the Bunawan District Hospital but were pronounced dead on arrival, philstar.com quoted the police as saying.
As many as five spent shells from a .45 pistol were recovered.
The attack took place in an area which is a known stronghold of the communist New People’s Army rebels, said mindanaoexaminer.com
Police are trying to determine the motive behind their killing and are probing whether the attack was connected to the victims’ money lending business or extortion by rebels.
The media report said that Indian moneylenders in the southern Philippines have been the subject of numerous complaints due to the high interests they usually charge.
Many customers are small time traders and private employees who rely solely on it.
- Australian man shot dead in Philippines - Nov 12, 2011
- Indian killed in Philippines - Jun 10, 2010
- Three dead in rebel attack in southern Philippines - Jul 31, 2011
- Indian trader robbed, killed in S. Philippines - Jun 10, 2010
- One dead, 34 wounded in Philippines blasts - Sep 02, 2012
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- 45 missing as Philippines boat capsizes - Feb 14, 2012
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Philippine politician shot dead - Nov 07, 2011
- Gunmen seize at least 65 people in Philippines - Dec 10, 2009
- 31 injured in Philippines quake - Nov 08, 2011
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- Four soldiers killed by rebels in Philippines - May 31, 2010
- Six abducted Philippines government employees freed - Oct 26, 2009
- False alarm sends 1,500 Colombian cops on wild goose chase - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: accomplice, assailant, compostela valley province, davao city philippines, dead on arrival, extortion, gamba, gunshot wounds, handgun, money lending, moneylenders, police office, private employees, regional police, small time, southern philippines, spokesperson, stronghold, time traders, xinhua