Two Indian students get Canadian scholarshipsJune 4th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 4 (IANS) Two Indian doctoral students are among 37 international researchers who have been awarded Canadian scholarships.
The two Indian recipients for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship for 2009 are Niladri Chattopadhyay, who will pursue cancer research at the University of Toronto, and Atam Kapoor, who will work in the field of chemical engineering at the University of Alberta, an official statement said Thursday.
The awards will entitle them to $50,000 each per year for up to three years.
Once at full capacity, the programme will support up to 500 new students annually.
The scholarships were announced by the Canadian government in budget 2008 and are awarded to the world’s leading doctoral students hailing from across Canada and abroad.
Announcing the scholarships in Ottawa, Canada’s Minister of State (Science and Technology) Gary Goodyear, said: “The recipients of these scholarships are the world’s leading doctoral students and the next generation of researchers, professors and industry leaders who will make considerable economic and social contributions in Canada and abroad.”
The scholarship programme aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health, as well as leadership skills.
- Two Indians receive Canada's Vanier scholarships - Jun 04, 2009
- Canada announces Banting Fellowships - Jul 14, 2010
- 51 Canadian fellowships for Indian graduate students - Nov 10, 2010
- Indian researcher gets $10,000 Commonwealth scholarship - Jul 28, 2011
- Canadian universities providing fellowships for Indian students - Nov 10, 2010
- Indian origin scientist gets Canada's highest civilian award - Jan 01, 2010
- IIT undergrads impress Canadian varsities - Jul 21, 2010
- India grants scholarships to Sri Lankan students - Jan 19, 2012
- Canadian universities coming to woo Indian students - Nov 08, 2010
- `Canada must aim to attract top Asian students' - Aug 10, 2012
- Yet another Indian techie donates $1.5 million to Canadian varsity - Jun 17, 2011
- IITian's million dollar gift for India centre in Canada - Jun 02, 2011
- Britain offers 100 scholarships to Indian students - Nov 16, 2011
- Seafood could carry toxic levels of mercury - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian students head for Canada to join research internships - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: atam, canadian scholarships, cancer research, chemical engineering, doctoral students, graduate scholarship, graduate studies, indian students, industry leaders, international researchers, leadership skills, minister of state, new students, ottawa canada, scholarly achievement, social contributions, state science, university of alberta, university of toronto, vanier