Two held in Dubai for smuggling heroin in gutsJuly 12th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, July 12 (IANS) Customs officials at the Dubai International Airport have foiled two bids of smuggling narcotics into the country and arrested two Asian passengers who concealed 80 capsules of heroin in their stomach, the WAM news agency reported Sunday.
The first attempt was aborted when officials at the airport forced a suspicious looking passenger to go through the body scan machine and found him hiding 50 capsules of the contraband drug. Initially, neither the X-ray detectors nor the manual search of his luggage revealed anything suspicious.
In the second case, the officials found another passenger hiding 30 such capsules in his stomach during the body scan, the report said.
Both passengers, whose nationality has not been revealed, were arrested and sent to the anti-narcotics department of the Dubai Police for further investigation and prosecution.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has a zero-tolerance policy towards narcotics and takes stringent measures to curb drug trafficking.
- Bid to smuggle heroin foiled in Dubai - Sep 14, 2011
- Smuggling bid foiled in Dubai - Dec 23, 2009
- Man held with drugs at Dubai airport - Nov 24, 2011
- Dubai Customs foils bid to smuggle heroin - Aug 09, 2012
- Asian passenger held for drug trafficking in Dubai - May 05, 2011
- 26 kg narcotics seized in Dubai - Jan 30, 2012
- Bid to smuggle narcotics tablets foiled in Dubai - Dec 15, 2011
- Drug smuggling bid foiled in Dubai - Jan 14, 2012
- Bid to smuggle 17 kg crystal meth foiled in Dubai - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian questioned over Bali smuggling - May 29, 2012
- Peshawar Police bust drug gang - Oct 30, 2010
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- UK airports on alert over dummy bomb warnings - Dec 18, 2010
- Three South Koreans detained at Indonesian airport for carrying explosive materials - Aug 09, 2011
- Man held in Sri Lanka with cocaine in belly - May 02, 2012
Tags: body scan, customs officials, drug trafficking, dubai international airport, dubai police, guts, heroin, luggage, manual search, narcotics, nationality, prosecution, scan machine, stomach, stringent measures, uae, united arab emirates, wam news agency, x ray, zero tolerance policy