Two held for Malegaon blasts in police custody

October 29th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS  

Nashik, Oct 29 (IANS) A court here Wednesday remanded two men including one retired army major, arrested for suspected involvement with the Sep 29 Malegaon explosion, to police custody till Nov 10.The ruling was given by Nashik Sessions Court Judge P.G. Patil.

The Mumbai Police Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) had detained Sameer Kulkarni and retired major Ramesh Upadhyay from Pune last Saturday. They were interrogated under detention and finally placed under arrest Tuesday evening, according to public prosecutor A. Mishra.

Among other things, the ATS has said that the two men were involved in imparting training to some activists of the right-wing Hindu Janjagriti Samiti (HJS).

Mishra said that one of the accused, Upadhyay, who is suffering from a heart ailment, shall be given appropriate medical treatment. Kulkarni is a high-ranking office-bearer of Abhinav Bharat, a Hindu organization.

Last week, three HJS activists, including a woman ’sadhvi’ (missionary), were arrested from Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh in connection with the bomb blast in Malegaon, a town that has a strong concentration of Muslims, which left five of them dead.

The three - Pragnya Singh Thakur and her two associates Shamlal Sahu and Shivnarain Singh - are currently in police custody till Nov 3.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe