Two held for Malegaon blasts in police custodyOctober 29th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Nashik, Oct 29 (IANS) A court here Wednesday remanded two men including one retired army major, arrested for suspected involvement with the Sep 29 Malegaon explosion, to police custody till Nov 10.The ruling was given by Nashik Sessions Court Judge P.G. Patil.
The Mumbai Police Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) had detained Sameer Kulkarni and retired major Ramesh Upadhyay from Pune last Saturday. They were interrogated under detention and finally placed under arrest Tuesday evening, according to public prosecutor A. Mishra.
Among other things, the ATS has said that the two men were involved in imparting training to some activists of the right-wing Hindu Janjagriti Samiti (HJS).
Mishra said that one of the accused, Upadhyay, who is suffering from a heart ailment, shall be given appropriate medical treatment. Kulkarni is a high-ranking office-bearer of Abhinav Bharat, a Hindu organization.
Last week, three HJS activists, including a woman ’sadhvi’ (missionary), were arrested from Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh in connection with the bomb blast in Malegaon, a town that has a strong concentration of Muslims, which left five of them dead.
The three - Pragnya Singh Thakur and her two associates Shamlal Sahu and Shivnarain Singh - are currently in police custody till Nov 3.
- Ex-army officer Upadhyay alleges torture by ATS - Oct 29, 2008
- Another key accused in Malegaon blast held - Feb 01, 2011
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
- Our worker not involved in Malegaon bombing: Hindu outfit - Oct 29, 2008
- Another key accused in 2008 Malegaon blast held (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Custody of nine Malegaon blast accused extended to Jan 6 - Dec 29, 2008
- Three more arrested for Malegaon blast, foreign weapons seized (Lead) - Nov 03, 2008
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Another woman among two held for Malegaon blasts (Lead, Changing dateline) - Oct 27, 2008
- Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 23, 2012