Two explosions in Assam, no casualtiesAugust 16th, 2008 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 16 (IANS) Two landmines exploded in Assam Saturday but there were no casualties, said police officials who suspect the explosives were meant to be detonated on Independence Day. A police spokesman said both blasts took place almost simultaneously in the western town of Bongaigaon, about 220 km from the state’s main city of Guwahati.
“One of the blasts took place near a power transformer, while the second explosion took place near a police check post. Both were low intensity landmine blasts and there were no injuries,” a senior police official said.
Police suspect the two bombs were probably planted by the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) to explode on Independence Day Friday but did not go off on time.
On Friday, three explosions rocked Assam injuring two people. Two of the blasts took place in Dhubri district and another in Chirang district.
Meanwhile, locals in western Kokrajhar district Friday nearly lynched an ULFA rebel while he tried to bring down the national flag hoisted at a village school.
“Locals caught hold of the ULFA militant and beat him up before the police arrived on the spot and took custody of the rebel,” a police official said.
A revolver and other ammunition were found from the ULFA rebel who is now admitted to a hospital with multiple injuries.
Soldiers arrested another ULFA militant for trying to pull down the tricolour in Kokrajhar district.
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Chirang, five killed - Aug 25, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Landmine blast kills four CRPF men in Assam (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Five CRPF troopers killed in Assam landmine blast (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- One injured, two missing in fresh attack in Assam - Aug 22, 2012
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Assam's Kokrajhar, Dhubri - Aug 26, 2012
- Blasts on railway track in Asam, no casualties - Apr 20, 2012
- Assam legislator held for role in ethnic violence (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: ammunition, assam, blasts, casualties, explosions, explosives, independence day, landmines, national flag, police check, police official, police officials, police spokesman, power transformer, revolver, school locals, second explosion, tricolour, ulfa, united liberation front